By Marilyn Hendrickson
MEOW Cat Rescue continues to strive towards a “no-kill nation” for pets. A nation where people are responsible for their pets, where there are no helpless creatures abandoned in boxes or left to fend for themselves in parking lots, woods, or empty buildings, where there is no longer a need for any healthy companion animal to be euthanized. Certainly, we’re making progress. But there is so very far to go.
Each year, MEOW is faced with the impossible, and each and every day the staff and volunteers recommit themselves to something they truly believe in, the motto they adopted at their inception: “All nine lives are precious.”
In 2010, MEOW Cat Rescue launched a Public No-cost Spay/Neuter Voucher Program to assist families in our community who need a bit of financial help to have their pets altered. MEOW believed that if all it took was some financial aid to ensure the health and safety of pets through altering surgeries, it was money very well spent. MEOW staff wrote grants and raised funds. This program, along with MEOW’s Toms and Moms program, and Independent Rescuer Support programs, have been responsible for over 6,643 surgeries since inception and 362 spays and neuters in 2016. Thanks to the donors who’ve help fund these programs and to clinic partners (FCSNP and Seattle Humane) the programs are still alive and well.
“Toms & Moms” Program:
- MEOW Cat Rescue will accept your weaned kittens and will give you a voucher to have your mama and daddy cats spayed or neutered at our expense through our Toms & Moms program. After they are altered, your adult cats will be returned to you. No charge.
- MEOW will provide loving care for the kittens and when completely ready, we will allow them to be adopted into approved forever homes. Our adoption standards are high. We take our responsibility to the animals very seriously.
- The kittens will be vaccinated, tested for FIV/FeLV, and treated for fleas, worms, and earmites, as needed.
- MEOW will address any medical issues and provide the highest quality veterinary care.
- AND each kitten will be microchipped prior to adoption so that if they ever become separated from their human family, they may be reunited.
- MEOW will also spay or neuter the kittens prior to adoption, so they will never add to the cat and kitten overpopulation problem in local shelters.
- MEOW Cat Rescue is a no-kill organization. Your kittens are safe.
Often people adopting or purchasing kittens from private parties have good intentions to spay/neuter a kitten when it is older, but then forget, or aren’t able to afford it, or they wait too long, not realizing that kittens can go into heat as young as four months old. Please don’t allow this to happen to your precious kittens. Kitten season is quickly approaching. If you or someone you know (a neighbor, friend, relative, or coworker) have unaltered cats and would like vouchers for free spays/neuters, please contact MEOW Cat Rescue at email@example.com or call 425-822-6369. Now is the time!