The New Year is a time for resolutions, reawakening, and renewal. It’s a time to spend with friends and family (whether they’re two, four, or three-legged), to have a “clean slate,” and to tackle goals and projects anew. From health to wealth, from organization to education, and from family time to travel time, many animal lovers resolve to make truly meaningful changes in their lives each year.
For 2017, we’re renewing our commitment to you, our community. We’ve created our first ever New Year’s Resolutions and Career Guides to help you get the New Year off on the right foot (or paw, or hoof). This year, make some New Year’s resolutions that will truly make a difference for you and for the animals – start your 2017 off by lending your time, your heart, and your soles to the animals!
- Become fitter, healthier, and happier. Eat healthier, exercise more, work toward your fitness goals, and stop any unhealthy habits. Working out doesn’t have to be a solitary task! Exercise with your pets by taking walks, hikes, and jogs, participating in doga (dog yoga! It’s a thing!), or taking horse rides. Take a closer look at what’s on your plate (and in your pets’ bowls), and plan out your meals to ensure you’re eating healthy.
- Learn something new. Check out our first ever guide for animal-related careers, which includes options on continuing education, associate’s, bachelors, masters, and doctoral degrees! Learn something new to help your animals or get started on pursuing your dream career with animals! Your pets can learn new things, too! Consider introducing nosework to your dog and research environmental enrichment for your cats, horses, dogs, and other companion animals.
- Live life to the fullest. Do something that will have a lasting impact in 2017 and beyond. Volunteer at a local nonprofit (walking the shelter dogs is a great way to get in shape, too!), or help Seattle Humane pave the New Year with hope, love, and happiness for the animals by buying a brick in their all-new walkway!
- Spend more time with family and friends (including your animal family members.) Enjoy a glass of wine at dog-friendly Northwest Cellars, grab a bite to eat at a dog-friendly establishment like Norm’s Eatery & Alehouse, meet fellow dog lovers at Dogwood Play Park, or invite friends and family over for a potluck, complete with pet treats from local favorite Seattle Barkery.
- Spend less and save more. Let Creative Money help you make financial goals for 2017 and beyond.
- Get organized. Inventory what’s in your home (and shed, and barn, and garage!) and donate what you don’t need. Organize an emergency kit for yourself and for your pets, ensuring that you have two weeks’ worth of food and water for all of you.
- Travel more. Visit dog-friendly destinations like Twisp River Suites, a pet-friendly paradise that features luxury suites, fireplaces, and gourmet breakfast!
- Read more. Pick up a great book about animals and read back copies of PCM on our website!
- Fall in love…with someone unexpected. Foster or adopt an animal in need.
Let us know how you’re resolving to make 2017 your best year yet! Did you visit a pet-friendly local venue? Volunteer at an amazing non-profit? Did you fall in love? Send your stories and photos to email@example.com and we might include them in our upcoming issues!